Roddy Watt is currently CEO of Highland Coast Hotels, a company he founded and established in 2021 to develop a collection of quality 4 Star boutique properties around the North Highlands. Previously, Roddy was Founder of both The Hotel Management Company which specialised in advising owners and/or managing independent hotel properties across the UK. In his early career, Roddy established the Berkeley Scott Group as the then market-leading recruitment company in the Hospitality sector.
- What is the best thing about your current job or role in the industry?
The variety and scope of the challenge of establishing a new company from scratch, and the ability to impact positively on the economic and social fabric of this very sensitive part of our lovely country
- What was your first job in the hospitality/foodservice or tourism industry?
I was Duty Food & Beverage Manager at the Carlton Tower Hotel which meant I had a very large bunch of keys and no authority to do anything!
- Who has been your biggest influence during your career?
My ex-Chairman at Berkely Scott, Rupert Bayfield who taught me the little I know about establishing new businesses.
- What key piece of advice would you give the future generation of hospitality professionals?
Work hard, go that extra mile, appreciate that there is always more to do – and do it, and listen to what is going on around you. You will fly….
- What is your favourite restaurant or type of food?
Simple, classical cuisine – particularly seafood.
- What is your favourite dish?
A tough one, but hard to beat a really good Sirloin Steak with Bearnaise Sauce and all the trimmings! Lobster is a pretty close second, oh, and Oysters!
- What is your favourite drink?
A good dram with ice and plenty of water – blended, not Malt.
- What or who are you looking forward most to see or meet at ScotHot 23?
Innovation and anything that is breaking the mold….