I’ve been at Meldrum House Country Hotel since 2018 and in that time, the hotel has totally repositioned itself. We’ve launched two new restaurants and then in 2020, we launched luxury dining domes followed by the largest dome bar in Scotland. We’re always looking to the future and capitalising on the next big thing and so we are working towards some exciting projects that we will launch in the next year.
- What is the best thing about your current job or role in the industry?
The owners have always believed in empowering the team to be the best we can possibly be and I love the autonomy they give me to make that happen.
This is very much a team effort and I can’t do the job without the people around me. I love brainstorming, teamwork and watching ideas evolve where we leave a mark on the hotel and deliver something beyond guest’s expectations.
- What was your first job in the hospitality/foodservice or tourism industry?
I was a Conference and Banqueting Assistant at the Westerwood Hotel in Cumbernauld which is now the DoubleTree by Hilton Glasgow, Westerwood Spa & Golf Resort
- Who has been your biggest influence during your career?
I would definitely say it’s my Dad. He taught me the value of hard work and that’s something no University education could teach me. If you want to work in hospitality you need to have that in spades because it’s a labour of love.
- What key piece of advice would you give the future generation of hospitality professionals?
You have to love what you do to do it well.
- What is your favourite restaurant or type of food?
I love Dubai and my favourite restaurant is there - Pai Thai at the Jumeirah Al Quar. It has the most incredible atmosphere and setting and I just love Thai food.
- What is your favourite dish?
- What is your favourite drink?
A very chilled glass of cold lager
- What or who are you looking forward most to see or meet at ScotHot 23?
It’s always good to go to an event when you know lots of people so I’m looking forward to catching up with familiar faces from within the industry, not just from other hotels but suppliers too.